The history of medical writing dates back to Ancient Indian texts such as the Atharva Veda, Sushruta Samhita, and Charaka Samhita . These are the medical treasuries which helped many scientists to dig into the roots of human health care. The first person to document a surgery was the 6th century BC Indian physician-surgeon, Susrutha. He specialized and documented in cosmetic plastic surgery and rhinoplasty surgery. These documentations helped many generations to practice and improvise the medical procedures.
Purpose of medical writing
Medical writing involves in preserving scientific documents based on the facts obtained through research and outcomes of various trials.
On the basis of purpose, medical writing is categorized into different fields
- Medical practitioners – textbooks, Continued Medical Education (CME) programs, e-learning programs.
- Patients -Awareness and educational purpose.
2. Marketing of healthcare products and equipment
- Promotional literature targeted at healthcare professionals, product monographs, brochures, handouts
- Sales force training manuals, e-learning modules
- Pharmaceutical marketing.
- Journal articles including research articles, new cases .
- Presentations for scientific conferences.
4. Research Documents
- Research proposals
- Clinical trial protocols
- Study reports
5. General Regulatory Documents
- Package Inserts in various medicines and equipment
- Patient Information Leaflets
- Web contents
- Subject narratives
- Safety & efficacy summaries
- Periodic Safety Update Reports ( PSURs)
- Periodic Adverse Drug Experience Reports (PADER),
- Annual safety reports (ASR)s
Audiences of medical writing
Medical writing is meant for different audiences.
1. Medical professionals :
Each of the write up is a treasure for the next generation. It helps doctors to improvise , adapt various treatment procedures that can bring wellness to their patients.
2.Patients & General public: Since the evolution of various communication medias public has resorted to their queries on the writeups published in magazines and especially internet .
3.Medical sales representatives : Pharmaceutical writing is hereby created for the purpose of promoting pharmaceutical products to doctors or for training and informing the medical community and patients on health-care products.
The scope for medical writers is growing in a fast pace and as a medical writer one can practice as a freelancer, or as an employee in an organization, depending on one’s experience, level of expertise and knowledge. Doing medical writing course can be a skill that can be add on to upgrade one’s professional life.
Who can be a good medical writer ?
Medical writers require an understanding of the medical concepts and terminology, knowledge of relevant guidelines as regards the structure and contents of specific documents, and good writing skills. The demand for medical writing is growing steadily in healthcare sector. Any one with good flair in writing and liking for medical field can become a medical writer.
Probable qualifications of a medical writer :
- Any Medical degree
- Science degree
- PhD in communications or English.
- Certified medical writers.
Reasons for Increasing demand of Medical Writers
- Growth in the medical technology.
- Rapid increase in the clinical trials and research.
- Stringent laws of patent and need for awareness of plagiarism.
- Increase in demand of medical communication through various medias of communication like web journal and print journal .